Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pating to Go and Motorized Dairy

How many shots in the foot this time? I'm sitting in the lobby of the doctor's office contemplating how many new holes my foot will have. I can't say I'm terribly upset about it, the last round of Botox wore off long ago.

Two. I got two shots in the foot. I've said this before and I'll say it again - it.

I jest. You'd think that the first shot would prepare you for the next one so it won't hurt as bad, but it don't work that way. My advice to you is this - don't get a shot in your foot, but if you have to, just get one.

Let's continue revisiting the early entries on this blog. We pick up at the "bridge". I've not been told otherwise, so I'll assume that my...uh...assumption is correct regarding the Pons as a silly doorman.

I'm going to skip over the entry entitled  "Thank You"- my divorce is still a sore spot for me. Which gives me more time to write about a place that I hold very close to my heart (and my brain)...
.
The Next Step
 On Monday, July 7th, I am going to another rehab facility in Anna, TX (closer to home WOO!) called Pate, which specializes in brain matters (pun intended). The projection is 6-12 weeks...then (hopefully) home!!!

After my bridge done flooded I went to an acute rehab center. After that, I started rehab designed for people with brain injuries at Brinlee Creek Ranch - the Anna, TX arm of the Pate rehab racket.

Despite the circumstance, I think back to my time at Pate with great fondness. I don't want to say that I am an outcast or something like that, but sometimes people don't understand why I'm peculiar and they'll treat me differently (i.e. the guy at the oil change place that I no longer go to who would speak AT me very loudly and very slowly). At Pate, I didn't have to worry about that - I was surrounded by people just like me.

We were all there for different reasons, but we all shared the same battle - trying to get along in the world with our newfound disability.

I have some very fond memories of that place such as: clicking at dots on the VMR like so much Pavlov's dog - TWICE! Tyrant therapist (tyrapist?) made me do it before surgery and after. Another sad yet funny memory is having to tell this dude that had a brain tumor removed my name EVERYDAY! I can't seem to remember his name now, how poetic. Please know that I'm not laughing at this guy, he'd laugh about it too, but I'd never slight a fella in his shoes.

The most useful, yet still frustrating thing is the way everything is so regimented. Useful = No surprises. Frustrating = When a surprise does arise (surparise?), I feel like I've gotta rearrange my entire schedule. For instance, when I have to shave (I do this in the evenings), I feel like my entire evening is shot. You see, I usually make an evening to-do list during the day, I never add shaving to that list. I've heard that a neat appearance helps one attain/keep a job. Knowing this, I occasionally shave. You'd think that, having shaved since I was 13ish, it wouldn't (side note: we have a contraction for it would - 'it'd' and a contraction for would not - 'wouldn't'. I propose a contraction for it would not - it'd'nt. Wait a minute, what about 'twouldn't'?) Starting over - You'd think that, having shaved since I was 13ish, 'twouldn't' come as a surprise, but it does. I'm not sure why this is the case, but it is.

All this is to say that Pate has turned me into Rainman - I have to have things just so or I'll flip out and start banging my head against stuff.
Allow me to quote Rainman in this very contrived segue - "I'm an excellent driver" when I drive...

TBI is...The Buick Ice-milk: my car, a Buick Lucerne, shares its name with Safeway's own brand of dairy products.

This one actually does very loosely connect to my TBI. I don't care to elaborate, but about a year ago I needed a car. Serendipitously, my pater got a promotion that included a company car. Neither my mother or my father can drive two cars at the same time (amateurs!), so they sold the dairy product/motorized conveyance to me.

FIN

@JarrettLWilson

No comments:

Post a Comment